Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Active closet door knob.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:32:11 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
I don't think that is to protect kids especially. One can lock
himself out of the bathroom even if he is the only one who lives
there. So it's just a way to open the door if the door is locked and
then closed.

Look up the statistics on falls, heart attacks, and other bathroom injuries.
It is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house and for safety, you want
a simple way in. The lock is meant for privacy, not to keep out burglars.

I agree. My mother never locked the bathroom door. I don't remember
for sure but I think in the house I grew up in, built around 1939, or
in the older houses she lived in earlier, there was any way to get in
if the door was locked. Is that possible?

But she never locked the bathroom door, and her reason was good, so I
never do either. If someone catches me naked, so be it.

I have these cheap all plastic doorknobs which lock by pushing the
knob towards the door. Easy to do by accident. And I've done it and
then closed the door a dozen times. So I keep toothpicks above the
door trim at each of the bathrooms, and at the closet that I put a
locking door knob on. In case I need privacy for a *thing*, I would
put it in the closet and lock the door. Someone could get in, but it
will slow them down. Even if someone tried to open the lock through
the little hole, they would probably use a screwdriver and try to
twist it, like non-cheap locks. With mine, you just push towards the
door.

I thought about buying fancier doorknobs, but I have 7 doors (4 that
lock) and didn't want to spend the money.