Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electrical Wiring Help!

Your latest response troubles me. Don't take this wrong way, but are
you sure that the wires to the switch are hots and neutrals or is it
possible that you are confused by the colors? (I have no idea of the
level of your electrical experience or what your switch wiring really
looks like, so don't take this as an insult.)

Switches are not wired with hots and neutrals. Properly wired switches
only break the hot wire. Many times a length of Romex is run back from
the fixture to the switch and since 2 wire Romex only has black and
white (plus ground) wires, the white is used as a hot. This is
perfectly acceptable by code. The white should be marked with a black
marker or tape to indicate that it is hot, but many times that is not
done.

The picture at this site shows what I mean:
http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-swit...t-switch.shtml

What it sounds like is that you have is a length of Romex from each
fixture at the switch. This makes the conversion easy.

Shut off the breaker, remove one back and one white wire from the
switch, making sure they come from the same piece of Romex. Hook these
to a new switch and you have separated your fixtures.

If you want verify that this is how your lamps are wired, open up each
fixture and you should see two lengths of Romex coming into the
fixture. The black from one will be wire-nutted to the black (or white)
of the other as shown in the picture at
http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-swit...t-switch.shtml

wrote:
Unfortunately the person that wired these lights ran two hot and two
neutral wires to the same light switch. This should make it easier to
repair, but determining which wires go where is my problem. I don't
want to cross hots or neutrals and have more of a hazard then I already
have.

You're probably going to end up pulling wires. I am guessing once you
dig into your wiring that you will find that the wires go switch to
porch light to post light. thus there is no way of doing what you
propose without additional wires.

The only way to determine this is to pull down the porch light and open
up the electrical box that holds the switch, and see what is inside.
Unless you are very comfortable working with electrical devices, you
probably want to switch off the breaker before starting.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.