Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electrical Wiring Help!

If you open the switch box and find only one set of wires attached to that
switch, you need to find the junction where the wires from the post and
wires from the porch light come together. Possibly at the porch light, but
if there is basement or crawlspace under this switch location, the wires to
the post may be found there. I would expect you can find where the wires
leave the house to go underground to the post fixture, and work backwards
from there

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's the situation... I have one light switch that controls two
separate lights.
1. Outside post light
2. Outside porch light

I would like to install a new box/light switch so that I can turn the
outside porch light independently. Any idea how I can tell which wires
go to what? I have an electrical tester (measures voltage, ohms,
etc.). Please let me know how I should go about this.

Thanks in advance for your help!