Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Home Backup Generators: Which One??

HugeBob wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a backup generator to power primarily two sump
pumps. Coverage of an extra circuit or two would be nice. But, I'm
more concerned about protecting a finished basement. Could someone
outline which manufacture/unit is best? I've had estimates which left
me more confused as the vendor trashed everyone and everything other
than what he was selling of course.

I would recommend either getting the Generac Quietpact 55-G (5500W) or
the Honda EU3000is (2800W). The Generac is actually built for RV use,
but is relatively quiet and should work well for emergency home use
also. Both of them cost about $2000.00. I have the Honda EU3000is and
I'm very happy with it.

If you don't care about noise and you don't want to spend that much
money then I would buy something like the Generac 5550 WheelHouse
($700). You should be warned though that these inexpensive generators
make A LOT OF NOISE.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/PublicPDFs/0E1015.pdf
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4581