Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Alan wrote in message
I think the main problem with today's appliances is that
they are NOT made so that they can be repaired.

I have an old toaster from the '40s or '50s. It is a
mechanical thing, not electronic, and is made of individual
parts that can be cleaned, oiled, and if you could get them,
replaced as needed. When something like this stops working,
less than an hour's work will set it up to run for another
25 years!

That old toaster probably cost about 3+ hours pay for a worker back then.
Today, I can buy one for 15 minutes pay. Really, Wal Mart has them for $8.
They can't make them that cheap and have them easily repairable too. I
doubt you can buy any war parts in there for that price anyway. Aside from
landfill problems, the new toaster is a pretty good deal.