Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair
Ignoramus4939 Ignoramus4939 is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:08:57 -0600, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Or the plastic and pot metal unit isn't worth fixing.

I have some had electric tools that are of professional grade.
Those I will fix my self as long as I can. Most are 25 years old
and have served me for that long. One needs a thin shim sheet.
Easy to replace. Not available...

I paid high dollars for my wife to have a quality mixer. We started
getting better flavor and mixed foods / cakes / whatnot. I got the
options for it - most - and they will hold up to the years needed.
But so many that I could have gotten won't last. Glad I did the
right thing in the first place.

Have you looked inside that expensive mixer.

The reason why I am asking is that I had one experience with such a
mixer, I found one on the curb (high end kitchenaid), and found cheap
plastic gears stripped inside. Fortunately, replacement parts were
available, and after a simple part swapping the mixer was working
again, and I sold it.

The plus here is that it is a repairable unit, the minus is that the
cheap gears fail by design and are very expensive in relation to their
cost (like $20 for some **** plastic gear).

I hope that you have a better mixer.