Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Or the plastic and pot metal unit isn't worth fixing.

I have some had electric tools that are of professional grade. Those I
will fix my self as long as I can. Most are 25 years old and have served
me for that long. One needs a thin shim sheet. Easy to replace. Not available...

I paid high dollars for my wife to have a quality mixer. We started getting better
flavor and mixed foods / cakes / whatnot. I got the options for it - most -
and they will hold up to the years needed. But so many that I could have gotten
won't last. Glad I did the right thing in the first place.

When buying machine tools, I couldn't order the highest quality of machine, but
the tools and cutters... were as good as I could - as they last longer and
might retrofit onto better machine in the future.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Rick Brandt wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In my opinon...no.

I intentionally try to have older appliances, vehicles, machines to
lower repair costs and keep overall ownership cost to a minimum.

Your thoughts?

TMT

Irreparable damageBy Bryce Baschuk
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
January 9, 2007
Bill Jones, after 42 years, is finally closing the Procter Appliance
Service shop in Silver Spring.
"You can't make a good salary to survive on the way you could years
ago," said the 61-year-old owner of the oven, refrigerator and
washer-dryer repair shop. "Everything has changed in the appliance
business."

This raises an apparent contradiction. Most people believe that appliances were
built much better in the past than they are now and yet in the past a whole
industry survived on doing appliance repairs. Perhaps they only seemed to be
built better in the past because we kept them longer and the only reason we kept
them longer is because we repaired them instead of replacing them. The flipside
of that same coin is that perhaps today's appliances only seem to be inferior
because we replace them more often and the only reason we replace them more
often is because we don't repair them.