Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Just had the chain adjuster failed on a dirt cheap relatively
new electric chainsaw. I assumed that they wouldnt bother
to supply parts like that, but I was wrong, readily available
and in fact free. Clearly no planned obsolescence there.

Contrast my Sears Craftsman chainsaw (42 cc engine,
18" blade) regularly $C 250 discounted to $C 200. This
required repair during the warranted one year (unexplained
jingle, source not found when I took off various covers: Sears
replaced the ignition module free.) After total 20 months
intermittent use the saw would not start. Sears diagnosed
that it needed a new cylinder and piston i.e. parts costing $180
plus $100 service time. This unit is marked "assembled in the
USA" i.e. from imported components.

This was my second, the first being a Husqvarna 325 in 1990.
That too required warranty repairs early, and was kept running
by a small family motor repair shop. When it finally stopped I did
not want to pay for further repairs since the repairman had told
me the Husqv 325 was a notoriously dud design, not manufactured
for more than a year or two. I bought Sears since Consumer
Reports flagged several models as a Best Buy. I guess the CR
test system could not include length of service.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs