Posted to alt.electronics
[email protected] james.montgomerie@gmail.com is offline

Default PC AT power supply conversion safety

Hi,

I'm using an old PC (AT form factor, I think) power supply to power a
device that uses 12V at 3.7A, since I couldn't find anything else cheap
that would provide 12V at that level of current. All is working very
well, but the power supply fan is quite noisy, and I'd like it to be
silent.

Does anyone know if it's safe to disconnect the power supply fan? Is
the purpose of the fan to cool the supply itself, or is it (as I hope)
included as a convince to cool the case of the PC it's intended to
power?

Thanks for any help,
Jamie.