Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Walnut Workability?

I do not have any problem working with solid walnut wood

I always use premium quality carbide blades (Freud) and keep them well
sharpened.

I make sure that I use the right blade for ripping and cross cutting.

My first furniture was made using 8” wide X3/4” thick solid board. After
all these years, I have never had any splits or checks, twisting or cupping.

Today, because of availability and the machineries I have I use narrower
boards for cabinet making with dowels or biscuits.

At first, I use oil stain on walnut. Then over the years, I have removed
the stain and refinished the existing furniture with Danish oil. Since then
when I work with walnut or other hardwood, I prefer Tung oil or Danish oil
for finish.

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I am planning on purchasing some walnut this weekend to start work on my
Stickley-rip off bed (I know Stickley is usually cherry or QSWO, but SWBO
wants walnut.)

I have not made an entire project from walnut before. How easily does
this stuff work? Chip-out prone?

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com