Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30 lp13-30 is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

I can ony agree with most of the posters who have stated that labor to
repair appliances has gone up approx, tenfold in the last 35 years,
while a lot of the cost of new ones is about the same in a lot of cases,
and 1/10 as much in some cases. While newer cars do cost megabucks to
fix when something does break, it is far less of of an accomplishment to
get over 200K mles on one than it was to get 100K on one from the good
old days. People have forgotten that back then 30K on a set of tires was
average, 2 years on a muffler and tail pipe if the car was driven on the
highway, a year or less if start and stop city driving. In coastal
areas, or where roads are salted, 2 y/o cars with holes rusted in them
were not uncommon. We thought my first car-- a 1959 in 1967-- was
ancient. That would be the same age as a 99 model now. Back then, the
goal of the auto mfgs was to change the styling enough every year to
make them look dated and out of style after 2 or3 years-- as soon as
they were paid off. THAT is planned obsolescence. The appliance mfgs saw
that(and in some cases were the same-- GM/Frigidaire,,Ford/Philco,
Nash/Kelvinator ect) and tried the same thing with appliances-- wild
colors, 2 and even 3 tones, even wild shapes and styles of fridges,
washers and dryers and stoves. Stainless is the hot thing for appliances
now, with, for the most part, white and black as the other choices.
Somehow I don't think that 15 or 20 years from now they, or even the
almond, sand and other colors that were popular a few years ago, will
look quite as dated as the turquoise, pink, avocado or harvest gold did.
(I left out coppertone because I thought it was actually pretty good
looking lol ) One thing I actually wonder is how the mfgs
of some of the new appliances even make enough to be profitable. Even
though labor is in China or some third world country, and is a very
small percentage of the cost, they can't make much on a $39 microwave or
vcr, or a $69 window a/c, when you add the raw materials,shipping to the
US and then to the final destination, warehousing, the profit the
retailer has to make, advertising, at least some warranty expenses etc.
BTW, while the new cars are far more fuel efficient, safer, and more
comfortable than those of the past, I seriously doubt that in 2057, a
2007 Chevy or other car will be as prized as a 1957 is now. Cars back
then were exciting, while now,to me anyway, they are little boxes that
all look alike. Good transportation--period. Larry