Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Continuous copper wire to earth ground

wrote:

Why would sharp bends do anything? As long as the wire is continuous
the electrons will flow whatever shape the wire is.

I had someone tell me that making sharp bends in romex was bad too.
Thats bull****. Electricity follows the copper. Bends dont matter.
When I wire something I always like to make it look neat bu bending
the wires around corners and keeping the bends tight to the structure.

you create future fail spots, the bend stresses the metal and has a
good chance of it cracking or similiar in the future. cracked wires
overheat and cause fires

.... and, at some level, lightning can exhibit RF properties where
bends CAN make a difference.

Why tempt the fates?

neatness only counts if it doesnt cause troubles.

as for the OP I would run a new ground line thru the clamp at the
copper line, jump out the meter even though it doesnt matter, ideally
the OLD water line could of been left in the ground disconnected at
both ends from water but still used for grounding.......

one thing the OP may find it very hard to drive the ground rods,
standing on ladder with 8 foot rod waving in breeze.

if the ground is hard it might be easier to have a electrician do it
one with proper driver for ground rods