Posted to alt.home.repair
ianjones ianjones is offline

Default PVC Cement on CPVC Pipe 1/2"

It was inside a wall and I have already closed it up with new drywall -
I guess I have done this a couple times elsewhere and so far so good. I
will make sure and get the proper solvent and cement for future
projects.

HerHusband wrote:
I inadvertently used PVC cement on some 1/2" CPVC pipe that feeds a
toilet supply. It held and it appears well sealed. Will this be a
problem?

PVC solvent is usually clear or blue.

CPVC solvent is usually orange.

The primer is usually purple.

From what I've read, this lets inspectors see at a glance whether you used
the primer (required by code for PVC and CPVC), and whether you used the
appropriate solvent for the type of pipe you have.

Other than color, I don't know if there's any difference in the two types
of solvents. But, I would tend to think so since there is only one type of
primer, but two types of solvents.

If the pipe and fittings are still accessable, I think I would cut it out
and redo it. The pipe and fittings are extremely cheap compared to the
damage that a water leak could cause.

Anthony