Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default 134V at Outlet - Solution

Fpbear II wrote:
A few days ago I wrote about the problem with 134V at the outlet. I thought
it might be the ground so I added a couple 8' rods, but that was not it. I
looked up at the power pole, and there I could see the neutral conductor was
completely broken off! I called Southern California Edison and they sent a
guy out within an hour. All fixed by the power company! Shared neutral
outlet pairs now read 118V/123V. The neighbor's bamboo trees sway against
the power wires when it gets windy.

Good catch! You probably won't regret having added the grounding rods,
and they may have saved you from more expensive damage. In any case,
now you know what a floating neutral looks like.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel