Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In my opinon, it is a symptom of a larger problem....

Companies are setting up the situation that you are forced to buy new
versus repair the used applicance, car, electronics, computers, cell
phones....because they make a larger profit.

Only if the same company sells me the replacement. For the theory to work
entire industries would need to collude on this. I don't buy it.

The MBAs that are crafting the company policy are behind this.

Nah, cooking the books maybe, but not making design decisions.

And the consumer is being left holding the bill...including paying for
the cost of disposal.

Actually newer laws are holding manufacturers accountable for any "special"
disposal costs required of their products. That could put a whole new spin on
this topic.