Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

nonrepairable is not the same as planned obsolescense. A new product may be
impossible to repair because it uses custom electronics and special assembly
techniques but that doesn't mean it's planned to quit working in 3 years.
If you buy a new good quality stove, you could expect decades of service
from it - I am still using a stove dated 1947, I'm sure others have older
ones, but the only improvements in stoves since the introduction of natural
gas are the electric igniters (reduces gas usage and heat load in teh
summer) and improved insulation. I am still using an Amana microwave bought
in 1972 - again, newer products have no advantages (and personally I prefer
an analog timer). But, I buy a new computer occasionally as technology
changes, and I just replaced a perfectly good 17" high end monitor with a
flat panel LCD monitor because it's larger and uses less desk space - that's
an upgrade, not really obsolescense (by the way, anyone need a really nice
monitor?). Planned obsolescense might be something designed to actually
wear out and be dead in an amount of time - like the printer ink cartriges
that, even if full, cannot be used more than XXX days after you open them.

my two cents

bill (www.wbnoble.com)

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
In my opinon...no.

I intentionally try to have older appliances, vehicles, machines to
lower repair costs and keep overall ownership cost to a minimum.

Your thoughts?