Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

On 14 Jan 2007 09:30:59 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:
snip
I intentionally try to have older appliances, vehicles, machines to
lower repair costs and keep overall ownership cost to a minimum.

Your thoughts?

snip
While I like this approach, it is getting harder all the time.

Maintainability and lowest initial cost are not generally
compatible design objectives for products with significant
volume.

Products are increasingly non-reparable in that the components
are permanently attached/sealed, and replacement items, other
than the most basic standard hardware such as screws, are not
readily available. Most people are unwilling or unable to have
an appliance such as a stove or refrigerator down for repair for
an extended period waiting on parts.

The increasing complexity of many new products also presents
problems, particularly those with "computer" control.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
On Theory: Delight at having understood
a very abstract and obscure system
leads most people to believe
in the truth of what it demonstrates.

G. C. Lichtenberg (1742-99),
German physicist, philosopher.
Aphorisms "Notebook J," aph. 77
(written 1765-99; tr. by R. J. Hollingdale, 1990).