Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Does the read and white wire go together on a light switch?

On 14 Jan 2007 06:14:12 -0800, "jmDesktop"
wrote:

If you were working on the light itself , and could ensure that all
switches are OFF it is safe to work because there is no current at the
work location.

Not even then, because someone might have put the switch in the
neutral wire, not the hot wire. I found a switch like that once.

On a switch one wire is always live regardless of the switch. So
touching the live wire can spoil your day.

In general , when working on any electric switch or outlet , turn OFF
the breaker and check that there is no live wire present before
touching any wires. (I prefer before removing the cover plate)

If in doubt turn off the main breaker which removes all power from the
house.

when the switch is replaced , turn the breaker ON.

One wire is always live? Even if the breaker (not main) is off?

In your previous question you implied no breaker was off: " Why would
I turn off the breaker though (seems to conflict with the first
response is why I ask)?" Why did you ask this if the breaker was off?

BTW, you have to be sure you know which breaker is the one for this
circuit. Some people don't want to assume that you know this. The
chart on the breaker box rarely lists every outlet and light fixture.
So people can't always go by the chart.