Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My (controversial) Theory

Berkshire Bill wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
ups.com...
For the electricians he
I believe that my re-wiring had an effect on the CONSUMPTION data on my
electric bills for May - November of 2006 vs. the same period of 2005.
That is, the avg. daily kWh used. The actual bill was not much
different - only a buck or 2 less than 2005, because the local utility
had increased rates by 25% last April. Needless to say, the avg. kWH
used was down significantly compared for each of the same months in
2005.

My theory - which got me banned from the doityourself.com forums - is
that I improved the electrical conductivity of this circuit enough that
items running off it actually ran more efficiently. I also believe
that my electronics both look and sound better after converting most of
this branch from back-stab to side wire or back wire.

Did I increase the contact area on those receptacles that much to make

How anyone could think a difference in electrical usage from one 6
month period to another period a year later is attributable to the type
of wiring connection to an outlet is beyond me. Just about everyones
usage has considerable variation from obvious things that make a huge
difference. Like the weather affecting how long heating or cooling
runs. Take a look at 6 month bills from 10 years and you will see
considerable variation, unless your only load is fixed, like a 1000watt
bulb on a timer.

For those connections to have any real and significant effect on your
electric bill, the previous connection would have to be generating
considerable heat, due to resistance. And if that were routinely
possible, it would present such a safety hazhard that it would have
been well known and banned a long time ago.

a difference?

-ChrisCoaster

No. Your Wife probably snuck in a couple compact fluorescent lamps or took
away your TV and computer.

Bill