Posted to alt.home.repair
jmDesktop jmDesktop is offline

Default Does the read and white wire go together on a light switch?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, "jmDesktop" wrote:

Thanks. It's working, but at least now I know why it didn't work right
when the other switch was flipped. I'll have to go back to HD and get
a three way switch. Why would I turn off the breaker though (seems to
conflict with the first response is why I ask)?

You turn the breaker off so you don't electrocute yourself, or start a fire,
while you're working on the circuit -- DUH. While you're at HD for the proper
switch, do yourself a favor and pick up a book on basic residential electrical
wiring, too.

--
Regards,

I am aware that the breaker is turned off to fix electrical switches,
outlet, lights, etc., while working on the circuit. The message in
context, unless I did not understand his response, I thought meant not
to leave the switch in the current state, which was 3 wires (red, w, b)
on a two way switch, with the breaker on. Instead, the breaker should
be turned off until I get a three way switch. This seemed to differ
from the first response I received which said that I could leave the
breaker on; thus, my question.