Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Electric Bill - Is this Eccessive?

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:20:33 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard
wrote this:-

It's not the time to start that concerns me it's the time taken to
reach say 80% of full output.

I have been using such lamps in places like toilets for a decade,
without any problems. I have just decided to use them on the stairs,
as they now start quickly enough and reach enough output quickly
enough to be used there. I use the slower starting bulbs in other
locations, where the slow starting is not a problem.

Like all green initiatives there are two sides to the coin, viz it can
lead to users fitting bigger higher consumption lamps using more
energy,

Though still less energy than the GLS lamp they replace.

and disposing of lamps sooner thereby wasting raw materials
(including mercury !) and energy.

No need to dispose of lamps that are unsuitable for a particular
application, just use them somewhere else.

It is simply a matter of experience. While everyone has experience
of GLS lamps that is not true of energy saving lamps.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh