Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Can't get good ruling on phone line grounds

Optical network interface electronics still connects to AC mains. AC
electric is equivalent to an antenna connected to optican network
electronics. That incoming wire must be earthed where it enter the
building to protect optical network electronics..

FIOS installations appear to have some earthing. Cannot say why with
certainty. But an optical cable has a conductive wire within it. A
conductor so that undersground optical cable can be traced before
excavating. Have observed something from optical cable connected to
earthing. But I did not inquire as to what or why.

Some gas companies want interior gas lines bonded. Others do not.
You must conform to your gas company demands. However that gas pipe
gets bonded anyway when furnace or other gas appliances also use
electricity. IOW if building earthing is not provided, then (as
happened in one dwelling) building might use gas line to obtain a
return ground - may use that pipe as an alternative neutral wire.
Fortunately no one was home when a gas line gasket eventually broke
down; house exploded. Just another (and rare) reason why all
'conductive' utilities should share a common earth ground.

blueman wrote:
We have Verizon FIOS which comes in on fiber optic cable. The ONI
(optical network interface) uses power and I believe uses a grounded
(3-prong) cord -- thus, it is no longer attached to a long
exterior metal wire (i.e. think antenna) and seems analogous to any
interior low voltage wiring system like an alarm.

So does this situation in which the interior telephone circuit is
literally optically isolated does the code still require that the
demarc be bonded directly to earth ground?

Interestingly - our gas company specifically WARNS against bonding the
gas entrance to ground (and will remove it if they see it). I have
heard that some gas companies purposely run a small current on the
external gas pipe to prevent galvanic corrosion. In those cases, the
internal piping (which often is grounded to appliance ground) is
isolated from the street piping via a rubber gasket of sorts.