Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Does the read and white wire go together on a light switch?

jmDesktop wrote:
wrote:
"jmDesktop" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to replace my light switch. It had an older switch and had
three screws on it. On these it had black, red, and white attached.
My new one had three screws, but one of the screws was for ground. I
didn't have any place to put the white wire.

On the top screw I put red and white and on the bottom screw I put
black.

It works, but is this correct?

In case this isn't a troll-

If it works, and hasn't started a fire, I bet the switch at the other end of
the hall or wherever doesn't work anymore. Depending on how it was wired,
flipping that switch will either do nothing, or pop the breaker, if you are
lucky. A three-screw switch (not counting the green ground screw, not found
on older switches), is a 3-way switch. Go back to the home center, and look
in the bin next to the one where you found this one. Buy that, and wire it
just like the old one was. While there, buy yourself one of the DIY books on
home electrical wiring, and look for the chapter on '3 way switch circuits'.
In the meantime, don't use the light, and leave that breaker switched off.

aem sends...

Thanks. It's working, but at least now I know why it didn't work right
when the other switch was flipped. I'll have to go back to HD and get
a three way switch. Why would I turn off the breaker though (seems to
conflict with the first response is why I ask)?

If you were working on the light itself , and could ensure that all
switches are OFF it is safe to work because there is no current at the
work location.

On a switch one wire is always live regardless of the switch. So
touching the live wire can spoil your day.

In general , when working on any electric switch or outlet , turn OFF
the breaker and check that there is no live wire present before
touching any wires. (I prefer before removing the cover plate)

If in doubt turn off the main breaker which removes all power from the
house.

when the switch is replaced , turn the breaker ON.