Posted to alt.home.repair
Dean Dean is offline

Default Question about lawn tractor tires.

The wheel puller worked but bent the rims outer edge,,no problem to
bend them back close enuff for tubes and the low speeds of the
rider,,tubes were the mission anyway as I was tired of leaking
tubeless..My Murray has a large washer and a clip washer to hold the
rear wheels on,the left was without any washers for *Who knows how
long?* and it stayed on,,even when I wanted it off!! That little 10
horse,rear engine could climb and mow tho!Just gotta climb at an angle
and watch the front wheel on the high side!
It's good to hear that JD has a better wheel system as that's the
next old rig I'm going to have,then maybe it'll be time for a brand
spankin new one..An old Craftsman was My first victim,picked it up dirt
cheap just to learn,,the Murray too..The JD is going to cost as much to
buy as the other 2 cost to buy and add a few parts parts to..A year or
2 with the JD and I'll use My Sis's 25% off and buy new.
Eric in North TX wrote:
l grant I've never had Murray or Craftsman kind of stuff, so what
gives with it? (Sounds like yet another reason to not it it's really a
problem... )

The problem lies in the Peerless trans axle wheel mounting scheme. The
wheels are nearly a press fit on the axel held on by a single bolt in
the center. After a few years the wheel rust welds itself to the axle,
I've tried a 20,000lb press with the axle out to try to dislodge them,
no joy, heat and industrial penetrating oil, no joy. I've had the bolts
loose for years hoping one would fall off. I finally resolved myself to
accepting the situation, the only resolution would be new wheels and
axles. Thats on my Cub Cadet, my John Deere has proper hubs and lugs.