Posted to alt.home.repair
volts500 volts500 is offline

Default Continuous copper wire to earth ground

zxcvbob wrote:

Will it meet code?

No, it will not meet code.

It should, but that's up to the inspector (if there is one.)

If you can find an electrical inspector who will pass a hack job like
that, I'd like to know his/her supervisor's name. Now that you bring
it up, making major changes to an electric system ground _is_ something
that should be inspected by a local electrical inspector, if there is
one.

A split bolt connector is a compression joint. When you solder the threads
(especially using hard solder), you've made it irreversible.

The NEC is very clear that the grounding electrode conductor must be
continuous, without splice. The NEC also realizes that buildings get
remodeled and that situations, such as the OP's, do occur. For those
reasons the NEC, specifically (2002) Section 250.64(C), does permit
splices to be made and _only_ made by an "exothermic welding process",
i.e. CadWeld, or by "irreversible compression-type connectors LISTED
for the purpose."

A silver-soldered split bolt is _not_ a listed irreversible compression
type connector. Both a CadWeld and the tool required to crimp the
irreversible connectors are beyond the capabilities of most residential
electrical contractors, mostly due to cost, let alone a home owner.
Cadweld does make a disposable One Shot, but that is for connection of
wire to ground rods. AFAIK, CadWeld doesn't make a wire to wire One
Shot. The OP could call around and find a commercial electrical
contractor who may rent him a crimping tool for irreversible
connectors, but that would probably be cost prohibitive too.

Just make sure it looks neat. Don't try to solder or braze the wires, the
silver solder is just to make the split bolt connection permanent.

As long as it's neat a hack job is OK? I once saw a house wired with
lamp cord. Sure was neatly installed, though. Just one of those
things that one just doesn't believe until one sees it. I once found a
120 volt duplex receptacle wired with telephone wire, but it wasn't
neat, the wire wasn't stapled.

All this, just because the OP doesn't feel comfortable getting inside
the main panel, and now you've got him out in the dirt with a torch?
I've been doing electrical work for 30 years and I've yet to see an
electrician with a torch, with the exception of maybe using a propane
torch to dry out a damp CadWeld mold before using it, or to fire off
the starter powder because his ignitor took a dump.