Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Squirrels in Attic Vent

HeyBub wrote:

Be aware that, legally, squirrels are "game animals" and come under the
protection of your state game and fish and wildlife department. That means
you need a licence to "hunt" them and may only use certain approved methods
during certain times of the year ("squirrel season").

It's not all bad, though. Damage by squirrels should be covered by your
homeowners insurance inasmuch as they are not "nusiance rodents," but "game
animals."

It can probably differ in other states but in Texas, hunting is the only
legal means one can kill a squirrel so laws governing fire arm usage in
cities/towns come to play so the home owner has to either contact the
mayor's office if in a town or the county judge in rural areas, they in
turn have to contact the wild life department to have the situation
looked at and then they send out someone to determine if lethal means is
in order. All that said I have yet to talk to a wildlife official or
animal control personnel that has a problem of a homeowner doing away
with any problem squirrel.

the insurance industry classifies squirrel damage as from "bothersome
rodents" ... don't think I can recall anyone being covered for
structural damage other than having a clause covering specific damage
caused by the rodents

Lar