Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Concrete handmixing versus pumping

A wrote:
I got a bid from a contractor to add concrete to my crawlspace.

He indicated he would use 5/8 minus gravel and pump in the concrete,
when he did the bidding.
After we signed the contract he went into the space and now claims that
pumping it in will not work because the pump guys will charge 150 extra
per hour of extra length of hose and that that the extra
He said he can have his guys cart in buckets of concrete which sounds
to me
a) very labor intensive
b) wont be consistent.
c) the concrete layer will be very thing as they might be tempted to
take shortcut since it is appears to be so laborious

Its a 1500 sq foot crawlspace. How much concrete would he need- I
shudder to think of how many buckets they are going to have to haul in.

Is this a red flag ? Should I insist on the initial agreement and ask
him to get the pump and not do it manually. he also grumbled about the
finishing time- saying he will need to hurry up with the finishing and
it wont be so good if he hires a pump.

How much concrete would one need for a 1500 sq foot basement ?
Thanks
Ani

You will need a lot if it is a 4" pour. Some one posted a calculatore
for you but the calulation is simple. 1500 ft square, divide by 1/3 =
500 cu ft, divide by 27 = 19 yards.

He may not be talking about handmixing. He would probably order up a
pre-mix load.

Harry K