Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Squirrels in Attic Vent

HaroldWho wrote:
Even after cutting down trees near my house, I've got a squirrel
building a nest in an attic vent on the roof. The little devil just
climbs up the stucco chimney!

The vent has screen mesh at the bottom, so they don't get into the
attic itself, but I'm stumped for a control method. Trap at the base
of the chimney? Poison? I hate to put squirrel goodies so near the
house and attract yet more of the pests.

Ideas?

Be aware that, legally, squirrels are "game animals" and come under the
protection of your state game and fish and wildlife department. That means
you need a licence to "hunt" them and may only use certain approved methods
during certain times of the year ("squirrel season").

It's not all bad, though. Damage by squirrels should be covered by your
homeowners insurance inasmuch as they are not "nusiance rodents," but "game
animals."