Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Continuous copper wire to earth ground

CJT wrote:
DK wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 06:09:10 GMT, "Fpbear II"
wrote:

Thank you Bob, I'll braze the split bolt connector. I have a torch
that I used years ago to fix a copper water pipe. I don't remember
how to solder with it but I think I can find some crash course on the
net. Still a bit curious how this affects the physical properties of
the electricity running through the wire.

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

One continuous conductor, unless spliced with an irreversible
connections such as an exothermic weld (solder is not good enough).
Do you have access to a good torch? I would use a split bolt
connector and then after tightening it braze shut it with 40% silver
solder. Solid #6 wire should be enough; no need to use #4 unless
the wire is subject to being damaged by a lawn mower or something.

Bob

Yes, Bob. You do that and it will be more than enough.

Will it meet code?

It should, but that's up to the inspector (if there is one.)
A split bolt connector is a compression joint. When you solder the threads
(especially using hard solder), you've made it irreversible.

Just make sure it looks neat. Don't try to solder or braze the wires, the
silver solder is just to make the split bolt connection permanent.

Best regards,
Bob