Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default Penetrol rust prevention

"Roy Fek" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,

Does anybody have experience with using Penetrol, made by Flood, on
their table saw, jointer, ect. to prevent rust? From what I can tell,
it is marketed under three product names, but they all seem the same.
Supposedly available at Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

http://www.floodaustralia.net/produc...etrol_rust.htm

http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/...rol+Marine.htm

http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/...+Prod+Page.htm

I read else where that it works very well and also keeps surfaces
smooth and some what slippery.

This is an interesting thread, apparently completely different from anything
I know. :-)

In a previous life, I owned and maintained several boats (only sailing
craft). I had a 34' sloop that needed the topsides painted. It was a
fiberglass boat and I couldn't afford a urethane paint job by a yard. I
decided to paint the topsides (the hull above the waterline, not the decks)
using a Woolsey alkyd enamel. Its sheen was superior to gel coat. I check
with an old boat painter to find out how they achieved brushed on paint jobs
with no brush marks. I was told to add a brushing agent to allow the paint
to level before it started to dry.
The brushing agent was Penetrol. Painting with vertical brush strokes and
using penetrol, a brush stroke free paint job was achieved.

I later used it while building houses when painting interior wood trim. We
used oil based enamel and I used the penetrol.

Now you fellows are talking about using it to prevent rust. I use Johnson
Wax (Lowe's sells it) to keep my tools from rusting. Not only are the cast
iron surfaces clean, the wood slides across them with ease. I typically wax
any tool I used over the week end late on Sunday.

OBTW, the penetrol I am familiar with is not paint and will not act as
paint. It is an additive to be put in paint. Apparently, Flood has developed
new products and used the name penetrol.