Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Gas oven misbehaving

Got summoned by SWMBO to investigate the case of the gas oven not
fulfilling its number one purpose for being...

Symptoms seem to be:

It had preheated and was running ok. Set to gas mark 8 it had been on
for 20 - 30 mins when the igniter started sparking intermittently. The
rate of ignition attempts increased until almost constant. At this point
she turned it off and called me. I relit it, and it went into pre-heat
ok, and appeared to be working normally again[1]. However, shortly after
it resumed the previous behaviour. SWMBO also reported a smell of
unburnt gas which would suggest a genuine flame failure. She found that
if it was turned down to gas mark 6, then it stopped attempting to
ignite, but going back to mark 8 caused a resumption of the problem.

So, likely causes? What to investigate next?

Oven is in a Parkinson Cowan "slot in" cooker. Approx 14 years old.

[1] Although I did not actually test the gas pressure at the time, I did
verify that there was no apparent drop in flame height when the boiler
kicked in for HW production (35kW).

--
Cheers,

John.