Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Compact Flourescent "Lamps" for Ceiling Fan(s)

Hi Tom,

Practically speaking, I don't imagine there would be a problem using
just about any 13 to 15-watt CFL (60-watt equivalent) in this type of
application.

The Philips Marathon Universal (available at Home Depot) has an
operating range of -30C through to +60C (-22F to +140F). Although
we're told "use in recessed cans or totally enclosed indoor fixtures
could result in reduced lamp life", the accompanying comparison chart
shows this lamp is compatible with "surface mount" fixtures; the
representative picture, in this case, is of a marine-style fixture
with a fully enclosed, air-tight lens. You'll have to draw your own
conclusions.

See:
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...pdf/p-3754.pdf

Please note the data sheet should read 60C, NOT 60F.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:58:30 -0500, Tom The Great
wrote:

Some CF bulbs have warnings against 'fully enclosed indoor use'. Not
really sure what this REALLY means, since I used some inside globes
and they have small vent holes in the base. I wonder if this means
like air-tight.

Follow the directions, I think even some CF bulbs are marketed for
ceiling fans too.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com