Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Question about lawn tractor tires.

l grant I've never had Murray or Craftsman kind of stuff, so what
gives with it? (Sounds like yet another reason to not it it's really a
problem... )

The problem lies in the Peerless trans axle wheel mounting scheme. The
wheels are nearly a press fit on the axel held on by a single bolt in
the center. After a few years the wheel rust welds itself to the axle,
I've tried a 20,000lb press with the axle out to try to dislodge them,
no joy, heat and industrial penetrating oil, no joy. I've had the bolts
loose for years hoping one would fall off. I finally resolved myself to
accepting the situation, the only resolution would be new wheels and
axles. Thats on my Cub Cadet, my John Deere has proper hubs and lugs.