Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Continuous copper wire to earth ground

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:57:32 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Fpbear II wrote:
I am extending the ground for the service panel with two 8' rods because the
pipes were re-done in PVC. I plan to attach #4 wire to the end of the
existing #6 wire with two copper split-bolt connectors and make the
connection real tight. I have been reading that the copper ground wire
should be one continuous wire. However I pefer not to mess with high
voltage and take apart the service panel to make it one continuous ground
wire. Are the split bolt connectors sufficient or is there some "physics"
reason it must be one wire? Or is it to prevent someone from accidentally
un-screwing the bolt?

One continuous conductor, unless spliced with an irreversible connections
such as an exothermic weld (solder is not good enough). Do you have access
to a good torch? I would use a split bolt connector and then after
tightening it braze shut it with 40% silver solder. Solid #6 wire should
be enough; no need to use #4 unless the wire is subject to being damaged by
a lawn mower or something.

Bob

Good advice! Just want to add, to help the 'grounding' effect, the
code requires those rods 6 feet apart, but make them 8. Easy way to
do this, drive the first one, then lay the second one on the ground,
and then that's 8 feet.

The idea about the splice, it should be in such a way that over a long
time, nothing can work it's way loose. The grounding system with the
rods stablizes voltages and can help extend the life of many of your
home's electronics. So it's a good idea to follow the NEC
requirements, and do it once right.

Remember, not your electrician, so just my options.

tom @ www.Florida-VOIP.com