Roy

Default Ring roller question

I just made a large style ring roller, using 3" diam DOM tube as
rollers. It has a wall thickness of over 1". Pretty nice stuff.
Rollers are supported with ball bearings. So far its full capacity has
yet to be determined, but I have rolled 5/8 round and also 1/2 sq into
nice 12" diam rings. Its principal purpose is to bend up square tube
and flat stock, so since I have a bunch of this 3" diam DOM tube I
figured I would make up a couple of different die rollers for it. But
with my way to adjust pressure on the adjustable roller and not have
any deflection it limits me to a 12" diam of whatever I roll. So I
need to make a smaller and lighter duty roller. Just how small can you
go on the rollers on these things? Would 1 1/2 inches be too small?
How about 1" I would like to be able to roll some small rings out of
14 and 11 ga and maybe some 3/16" thick material and probably 3/8"
diam rod at max, so do you think a 1 1/2" diam rollers would suffice?
How about bronze oil lite bushings instead of bearings?

Yea, I know for $50 I can buy one already assembled and ready to go
from Harbor Fright, but I prefer tohomebrew my things if possible to
keep me occupied so I do not get into trouble, and at the same time
help the worlds recycling situation...at least thats my story and I am
sticking to it.

A short while ago I built a 30 ton press brake 48 width and 10 ga
capacity, that has worked like a champ. Its powered by a enerpac
10000,psi hand operated pump and one large bore cylinder for the ram.
Well yesterday I lucked up and got offered a resivoir, 4, 5" x 8" x2"
cylinders and all kinds of hoses, a bank of valves, and a pump and
motor for next to nothing, all in working condition, so one of these
days I will have a full hydraulic powered press brake with limit
switches for repeat bends etc setup. Just need some time.

I have in the meqntime acquired a real set of press brake dies (upper
and lower) from a 6 foot pressbrake so I need to cut them to size and
install them as well. With the remaining upper and lower die pieces I
hope to build a smaller narrow press brake to handle 1/2 x 6 flat and
such, similar to what is sold by shop outfitters.

Retirement, heck, I need a full time job so I can get a break!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.