Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Determining power handling of a speaker ?

N Cook wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote in message

N Cook wrote:
Surely if confined on a coil then lower current handling?

8 ohms

That 700 circular mils per amp is for transformer/coil

calculations.
6.125 amps * 8 ohms = 49 volts * 6.125 =300.125 watts. This would
require a 14 AWG wire for 700 circular mils per amp. which is ten

time0
the diameter you quoted. It is 63 mils, or about 15 turns per inch.
It is 90 turns in 15 mm , 2 layers, 1 over the other, so 180 turns

15 millimeters = 0.590551181 inches

1/.59055 * 90 = 152.400 turns per inch.

That would be AWG 34 (143 TPI) or 35 (158 TPI), or British SWG 38 or
39. I don't see how it could handle 300 watts at 8 ohms.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Exactly my problem , I cannot square the blurb statement with analysed
physical reality.

It`s not a pure resistor, it`s an inductor, operating in a strong
magnetic field, and theoretically with forced air cooling. Also, some
manufacturers lie about their specs!

You still haven't disclosed what make and model of speaker it is.

Ron(UK)