Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Termite turn tool opinion wanted

Just as a follow up to Bill I would like to add the benefit of building your
own hook tool. To get a Termite I would have to drive to Lee Valley, nearest
outlet, or maybe to Busy Bee which is about the same distance. In my case
this is an hour's drive each way. The cost of the tool is incremented by the
other goodies I would be unable to resist (temptation, temptation,
temptation) and the time is encremented by talking to all the folks there.
To make a hook tool with a half dozen hooks will take about an hour and
cost five bucks, new hooks a few cents each. As Bill will tell you, being a
fellow who builds stuff himself for the lathe, the fun is also in the
making. Less time, less money, and fun. I like it. Besides, if you do not
like the tool, a quick redrill, a new tip and you have an Oland.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"William Noble" wrote in message
I have one of these termite tools, I find it mostly useless - it does what
it does just fine, but if the thing I am working on is shallow and has a
big opening, I can use a bowl gouge and hollow much faster. If it's deep,
the shaft is thin enough that it chatters and is no better than a scraper,
and the little ring gets filled with wood curls - and if I have a narrow
opening, there tool won't cut anywhere near the top of the vessle. I got
it at about 50% off, but for me it's mostly shelf-ware

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Pete

The termite is a nice tool, works well, but it has a learning curve,
you can take very nice cuts in the bottom of boxes or vases, it works
best on end grain, here's a link to a site with additional info.
It is Herman de Vries website, go to tools and tips and you will find
some good info there on the termite, but also on more than just that, a
good site to bookmark, right next to Darrells

http://www.hdv.net/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Pete wrote:
Oneway has a tool called the Termite tool that I believe is primarily
used
for hollowing. I was thinking about buying it and was wondering what you
opinions about it was.
Thanks