Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Picket fence practical advice wanted

Ook wrote:
Mama wants a picket fence around the front yard (so do I :P). Any practical
advice from anyone here that has been there done that? At this point I'm
looking for post spacing, size, and depth. Can you use 2x4, or should I use
4x4 for the posts? How far apart should posts go? City ordinances state that
fences on property lines can only be 30" high (no, really, can you believe
that?) so this fence will only be 30" high.

Posts should be 4 x 4 and sunk below the frost line. You may be able
to use 2 x 4 , check local ordinances for post sizes and spacing.

2 x 4 is obviously not as strong so go with shorter post spacing .

Rails can be 2 x 4

pickets maybe 3" x 1 or picket material which is thinner

bottom rail maybe 8" high , top rail maybe 26" high with pickets at 30"

I start at each post and work in to the center using a spacer block to
keep things even . The center picket can be trimmed slightly if needed.