Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Anna Kettle Anna Kettle is offline

Default Easy/Cheap way to remove (lead) paint?

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:20:40 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

So, I want to strip at least most of the paint off and repaint it but
wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions i.e. machines, recommended
masks, tools, methods, etc about how best to go about this. Someone had
suggested sand blasting but while I like to think this house is fairly
sturdy (old house) it is still made of mostly pine which strikes me as
being a bit soft for something like sandblasting. I have tried
chemicals in another project and that just doesn't seem to be
realistic for a 4k sq ft house.

Dont use a hot air gun to remove lead paint. Chemical strippers is the
best way to remove it and the cheapest way to do this is to mix up
caustic soda and water, paint on, cover with cling film, allow to
soften and remove with a scraper. Horrible job though (I know cos I
did all my window frames last summer) and probably not worth the
effort. Just paint over it. If your kids start chewing the walls then
they are very bored. Buy them a new computer game

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation