Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Propane heater question

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 04:21:53 GMT, wrote:

I heat with a propane heater in my gara... shop. I find that when
the tank runs low, the pressure drops, the flame slows down and it
begins to stink. These things are Ok when the tank is full but seem
to lose efficiancy (creates monoxide) when fuel is low. Perhaps
that's the stink your getting.

Pressure loss can come from the tank freezing up as well- I don't
recall that ever happening that I noticed with a 20# tank on a
Remington jet heater, but depending on the amount of propane it's
burning, a guy could have that problem.

The guy who helped me figure out how to build my forge suggested
setting the tank in a bucket of water to keep the pressure up when
running at high gas pressure. He's had his for about 12 years, so I
figure he's probably found the best way to take care of the issue.

Also, FWIW, I ran a less powerful forge for a short time that was
*not* efficient (no forced air mixing with the gas), and it set off
the CO detector several times- there was no odor associated with that
that I could detect, but it may have been because I was immersed in it
from the time it started up, and was just used to it.