Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Propane heater question

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:24:46 -0500, "Dave W"
wrote:

I have been in houses under construction where the space was heated by a
propane torpedo type heater (salamander). Generally, there is an unpleasant
odor associated with these. Question is ....is the smell only with some
devices or do all propane salamander heaters stink.

Don't know about "salamander" heaters, but most do not stink.
Kerosine used to stink, but now you can buy an "odorless" version. I
haven't tried that out myself, but I'd imagine it's fine.

I am preparing to build
a boat in an unheated boathouse and have been thinking of buying a propane
salamander. Thanks for input.

Here's the real imput- while the propane heater will be pretty
efficient if you buy new and won't kill you if it's not vented, it
will produce carbon dioxide and water vapor as by-products. Add that
water vapor to repeated heating and semi-rapid cooling, and you've got
an absolutely perfect situation for making your tools rusty very
quickly.

So, either take precautions against that buy coating expensive tools
with something like topcote regularly, or try and find a heater with a
vent.