Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] carolrcohen@gmail.com is offline

Default Gas stove needs 1 larger burner

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...
My 1992 GE gas stove has all 4 top burners the same size. I'd like to
have 1 higher BTU burner (for stir-fry etc.) and 1 lower BTU burner
(for very slow simmering) to replace 2 of the present burners. Has
anyone tried to do this, with their gas stove? I assume the regulators
get replaced too. Or do I have to get a whole new stove to get the
different sizes of burners?

Any that I've seen are larger diameter and the stove top will have a larger
cutout also. I don't think you will have much luck. Some brands also seem
to have a problem with very low flame for simmering. Our Roper (about 20
years old) does not have that problem but the big high powered ranges are
more prone to it from what I've read. Some even have a flame diffuser for
simmering.

You may want to try asking on rec.food.equipment

Thanks to all of you, especially Edwin P. who told me about that other
newsgroup which I hadn't known about, and which is full of useful info
about BTU outputs, dedicated wok burners, etc..
CC