Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.physics
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Slight radon problem, exchange basement air how often?

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:04:28 GMT, andy everett
wrote:

I tested our finished basement twice and the results came back
indicating a slight radon problem. I have installed a french drain in
the basement and have clean outs in three corners of a rectangular
basement. in the fourth corner is a sump pump. I will set things up so
that air is drawn (via small holes in cleanouts) from the four corners
of our basement.

What is a good compromise between getting almost all radon out of the
basement and keeping warm (expensive) air in the basement? Should I
figure on removing the air from the basement once a day, twice, ???

Thank you for any help.

The air exchange idea came to mind for me, but it was quickly shot
down, after reading the epa's standing on it, and local home owners. A
simple negative under floor system can cost only a several hundreds of
dollars and be done in days. You might want to talk to home owners
who have had work done, rather than a DIY solution.

As for a slight problem, what was your readings? Does the level
warrant doing something about it, or investing your money elsewhere?

Just guessing....

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com