Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default Propane heater question

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:24:46 -0500, "Dave W"
wrote:

I have been in houses under construction where the space was heated by a
propane torpedo type heater (salamander). Generally, there is an unpleasant
odor associated with these. Question is ....is the smell only with some
devices or do all propane salamander heaters stink. I am preparing to build
a boat in an unheated boathouse and have been thinking of buying a propane
salamander. Thanks for input.

It's been my experience that if you smell the propane from a torpedo
style heater it's either almost out of gas or it's being used with too
small of a propane bottle. Most of the larger tope dos recommend a
100lb bottle and perform much better with one. I think they are best
choice if you need to get things heated quickly.
Personally I hate having to use one while trimming a new home. The
propane heat is not nearly as dry as the air from a furnace. Once the
furnace kicks in you can see a lot of wood movement. It's something
I'll warn a builder about.

Mike O.