Posted to rec.woodworking
Allen Roy Allen Roy is offline

Default Propane heater question

Kerosene in a salamander can stink quite nicely. Propane heaters as a
whole generally don't. I remember the old kero heater we used on the farm.
Stunk when you started it but was mostly odor free after an hour. I heat
with 15KW electric. It is a dual heater setup so I can shut down one when
the shop is warm and the second one is on a thermostat so that it just
mantains 60F when I am in there. Also I just added a timer in the circuit so
that I can set it to come on the next morning (or night) 1 hour before I go
out to work. By the time I get out there, I can usually shut one off. (Yes I
can make the meter spin really, really fast but is cheaper than NG and they
were NEW & FREE)
But before I added all of this, I used to heat with kerosene. I still use
it when the temp goes below 10F. Just had to switch when the price of kero
went nuts and it was costing me $12 to heat the shop for a day. And the
village in which we live won't allow propane tanks out in the open. They
have to be fenced in with something to hide them and they have to be mounted
on concrete. Ruined my chance at putting in a good unit heater for next to
nothing.

Allen
"Dave W" wrote in message
I have been in houses under construction where the space was heated by a
propane torpedo type heater (salamander). Generally, there is an
unpleasant odor associated with these. Question is ....is the smell only
with some devices or do all propane salamander heaters stink. I am
preparing to build a boat in an unheated boathouse and have been thinking
of buying a propane salamander. Thanks for input.
Dave