Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Propane heater question

Dave W wrote:
Question is ....is the smell only with some
devices or do all propane salamander heaters stink.

Propane (LPG, with stenching agent) stinks. Kerosene salamanders smell.
Burned propane should never smell and burning kerosene might not smell
if it's in a small and well-trimmed wick heater.

If it's really propane and it's smelly, then I'd be worried. You've
either got a gas leak (that distinctive odour of weasels) or the
combustion isn't working right and it's propbably poisoning you with
carbon monoxide too.

OTOH, I still don't like this sort of heater in a workshop because of
the moisture they produce. English winters are wet enough already!