Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Propane heater question

Dave W wrote:
I have been in houses under construction where the space was heated by a
propane torpedo type heater (salamander). Generally, there is an unpleasant
odor associated with these. Question is ....is the smell only with some
devices or do all propane salamander heaters stink. I am preparing to build
a boat in an unheated boathouse and have been thinking of buying a propane
salamander. Thanks for input.
Dave

I use a torpedo type propane heater to get my shop up to a comfortable
temperature quickly, then turn it off and use a propane infra-red
heater plus a 220 volt electric heater to maintain temperature. I'll
crank everything up in the morning and go back in the house for
breakfast while the shop warms up. Sometimes when I first enter the
shop after breakfast, I can detect a faint propane smell, but it's not
bad. I don't even notice it after the first whiff, and it's never
caused any headaches or anything. I have a carbon monoxide detector in
the house, and I took it out to the shop for a couple of days. The CO
never even registered on the digital display.

I've been very happy with my heater combination. The only complaint
about the torpedo heater is that it's fairly noisy, and you can't
really back up to it to get warm. I'd highly recommend an infra-red
too if it's in the budget.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle