Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Propane heater question

If you have CLEAN, FRESH Kero - and keep the heater wick clean {'burned
off'} you should have almost no odor.

Propane is similar to 'home use' gas - there is ordinarily no odor
associated with it's combustion. What you smell - when you are using
'solvent based' materials - is burned & partially burned hydrocarbons. This
is one of the reasons I prefer H2O based finishes when I do work in the
house.

The other problem with Kero {and possibly Propane} is the production of
water vapor. I know it plays havoc with steel tools. Depending on the amount
of use, temperature, and area of confinement, it may also have an effect on
your epoxy.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Dave W" wrote in message
I have been in houses under construction where the space was heated by a
propane torpedo type heater (salamander). Generally, there is an
unpleasant odor associated with these. Question is ....is the smell only
with some devices or do all propane salamander heaters stink. I am
preparing to build a boat in an unheated boathouse and have been thinking
of buying a propane salamander. Thanks for input.
Dave

The one I have has no odor. It is proclaimed to be 99.9something%

efficient
and needs no venting. Mine is a 30K Btu Reddy heater. I do, however, get
an odor if I try finishing in the open flame heated shop. The fumes from
the paint or poly go through the flame and will smell.

The older kerosene heaters had a smell to them. New ones are better