Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian C Brian C is offline

Default Electric motor reversing question

Joe Fleming wrote:
B. The motor for my mini lathe is a single phase 110 motor that has
wiring to allow rotation in both directions. I will not have a
controller. It will be wired directly to 110 AC through whatever
switch(es) I install.

Whether or not it can be reversed at speed or not depends on the type
of motor it is: single phase induction motors canNOT be reversed at
speed (these are the most common type on a single phase system),
brushed (AC or DC) motors (think router) CAN be reversed instantly, at
speed, but then you're likely to either pop the overload or smoke the
motor; mostly the brushes/commutator. I've got a blender that uses a
router motor that has a reversing switch - the whole blender jumps and
twists and you get major arcing when it is used.

How to tell if your motor has brushes? Look at the near end the wires
go in, does it have two knobs or screw slots of non-metallic stuff,
then it is probably brushed and can be reversed at speed.