Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Termite turn tool opinion wanted

m wrote:
Unlike some other opinions I have seen elsewhere, I find the tool easy
to use and sharpen. I find it very good for hollowing. I also agree
with Darrel, that it may be worthwhile to just buy the ring bit, and
make the shaft and handle for the tool.

I think you are right. The best setup I saw for the termite by a guy
that swears by his was his home grown solution.

He mounted the small bit in a piece of 3/4" cold rolled steel and then
put a rubber bicycle grip on the non business end.

He mounted the large bit in a 1" thick piece of cold rolled steel with
something else as the grip. With the 1" bar he was able to hollow more
quickly than anything I had ever seen before or since.

Both round bars were tapered down to the profile of the bits and the
overall job looked like winner.

Robert